Sunday, June 17, 2007

Jordan Patrich and the Gallery O Controversy by Hans Engel

There has been much talk since this all began about the role young Jordan Patrich, 21 year old son to Sergio Patrich, has played in all this. Much speculation as to whether he has been a willing participant in the deception, an active manipulator, or an innocent victim at the hands of his own family. Some are horrified by the last option; the possibility that perhaps Jordan has simply been another resource for his father to once again avoid his creditors – indeed it is one of the choices when considering why Jordan was made president of Tiferet Holdings and director of the Art Center building in which the Vancouver Gallery of Photography and Gallery O Contemporary were housed at 2060 Pine Street in Vancouver. Brian Nation writes in his testimonial “From the domain registration info for his new website it appears that Sergio's son Jordan Patrich is the president of Tiferet Holdings.” Why would Sergio Patrich, now former President and Director of Havilah Holdings and the Simon Patrich Gallery on Granville Street simply sign it over completely to his very young and inexperienced son? We don’t know. And until someone tells us otherwise it is all pure speculation. We do know, however, of at least two cases where sudden bankruptcies and corporate overhauls enabled Sergio Patrich, while facing claims in court, to completely avoid paying his creditors anything. And we do know that the fact of his not having any assets in his name has completely frustrated lawyers from getting anything from him.

But back to Jordan.

I met Jordan a couple of years ago as he helped his father at the Simon Patrich Gallery. When the gallery moved to it’s new location on Pine Street and changed names I had no idea that the gallery Director was now young Jordan. Whatever contact I had was still with Sergio although it seemed Jordan was there more and more. I was surprised when I did find out and found it quite strange – but given the nature of their seemingly very close family it was perhaps also quite laudable that Sergio would step aside and let his possibly ambitious son try his hand at the biz.

Things got ugly last summer as the facts and deception began to become frighteningly clear. I tried to get answers from Jordan, the gallery Director. I was asking for my money from recent sales completed under his Directorship. I was asking for answers. I was asking for reasons. I was asking for an inventory list. I was asking 'where's Sergio?'. Almost everything was deferred to his grandmother who had also suddenly become very active in the business of the gallery – also very strange. Jordan promised me my money. Very little came – but the two little cheques I managed to squeeze out of them before everything collapsed were signed by gallery director Jordan Patrich. Eventually, after dozens of emails and phone calls, all of which went unanswered, an inventory list was emailed to me by Jordan. As I checked the list I was surprised to find paintings I knew had sold, and horrified to find that many works were not on the list that should have been there. I emailed Jordan asking for an explanation and another list. No response or list ever came.

Some wonder what exactly Jordan knew about his father’s business practices. We don’t know. What I do know is that Jordan knew, because he heard it from me, that they owed me money. That they were selling my work without telling me. That I wanted an inventory list. That I wanted my paintings returned. That much I know he knew. There is no question that Jordan, no matter his youth, is complicit in his families actions even if it is because he knew what was going on and did nothing to change it. A lovely quote from Brittani Faulkes reads: “sometimes complicity is simply a matter of inaction”.

But what does Jordan have to say for himself? All we know directly is what he has published on his ‘Myspace’ blog.

“I own an art gallery in Vancouver. Two actually. This means I'm poor and work a ton.”

“My landlord came into the gallery this morning. I'm a bit behind. Well more than a bit.”

“I also had a visit from Marco Tulio who brought in a new piece! I love when artists bring in new art works! It's like Christmas!”

“For those of you who don’t know, the galleries are no more....well for now anyways. It was fun while it lasted, but was just a bit too much for me to handle I guess. Maybe soon people will realize that the posters they buy at Ikea are nothing but tomorrows garbage, and true art will be recognized. Unfortunately I wont be the one to do it. There are still plans to set up a new VGOP [Vancouver Gallery of Photography] somewhere though. I had just gotten it approved for non-profit status, so we'll see where that goes.”

Jordan as innocent or Jordan as co-conspirator? We don’t know. And perhaps knowing will change nothing. But it is yet another piece in this very elaborate puzzle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home