Friday, June 1, 2007

Response to Georgia Straight article May 17, 2007 "Closure Leaves Artists Scrambling" by Hans Engel

Hello Jessica Werb and the editors of the Georgia Straight. Thank you for your article of May 17, 2007 “Closure Leaves Artists Scrambling” in the Arts Notes section. I am glad that after a very long period of abuse of artists the media is finally deeming it of value and interest to begin to expose the actions of Sergio Patrich. This particular subject, however, requires more than a note to cover its pervasive expansiveness. Let’s not mince words here. I, and the many artists with whom I have spoken since this ordeal began, have been cheated, lied to, robbed, humiliated, screamed at and downright brutalized by Sergio Patrich and his associates. A total of $26 000 worth of art has been stolen from me, representing more than a years worth of paintings and for some, easily a years income. Is this so insignificant a ‘claim’ that Sergio’s whining about ‘sudden’ eviction (when is eviction ever sudden?) should take precedent? And shall we ask why does someone get evicted? Because he’s not paying his landlords either. And my story is not new nor is it isolated. To date I have not yet spoken to a single artist who has shown with Sergio Patrich (and I have spoken to more than a dozen) who has not had similar experiences at either of his two previous galleries. Were this a story of stolen diamonds (and some of the ‘missing’, ‘stolen’, ‘lost’ paintings are worth more than diamonds) would it gain more credence as grand theft? Or if Sergio Patrich and his group were stealing cars and then telling you (as quoted in the article) “It’s not like I have money in my pockets. We’re trying our best to take care of people whichever way we can” would you accept that as a valid response or would you simply go to the police? Please consider this carefully as I believe that until we understand the value of this work monetarily as well as intellectually and emotionally, artists and their work, created with the same blood, sweat and tears as anyone else, will continue to be abused by their dealers and ignored by the media. I guarantee you we’re not done with this and I hope you aren’t either.
Sincerely,
Hans Engel
Toronto

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home