Friday, January 4, 2008

Richard Herman's story about Sergio Patrich

I generally, as a rule, refrain from speaking ill of someone in the business, but I think this situation was unique, and besides this person was operating on the outside as far as I can tell. I count myself lucky to have lost around $10,000-12,000 ( it was a while ago now) in art, and not more. When I first spoke with Mr. Patrich a red flag was raised by his seeming lack of respect. He was very positive and enthusiastic to the point of impatience, but simply rolled right over anything I had to say. I backed away but was eventually won over by the grounded openness of a young woman (apparently not family) who was in the employ of the Simon Patrich Gallery. I sent four canvases and was content to leave it with the gallery to work with as they saw fit, according to their sense of the local market. I checked in with this woman now and then for feedback, but realized I had made a mistake as soon as I next spoke with Mr. Patrich. His manner and words were of the classic "wounded friend" type of huckster, and I realized that I could kiss the paintings and or money goodbye. Shortly thereafter the work and gallery disappeared, only to pop up again as this Gallery O. At this point my only concern was to dis-associate my art from this gallery. Pursuing the work would have entailed continued association, and I didn't even want a negative one. The problem for me, and the reason I am contributing to this blog, is that after repeated requests, then demands, he would not remove my name from the gallery website. This is what disturbs me, not the money. My name is still on there today after all this time.
Thankfully, this was my only experience like this. I disagree strongly with those who characterize the business as being rife with charlatans. In my experience most gallerists are descent people who want the artist, the art, and the gallery to succeed together. I think it would be unfortunate to fall into a mindset that sees artists as "Us" and galleries as "Them". Without trust success is impossible.

Richard Herman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home